2008/11/17

Scrambled eggs with cauliflowers

cauliflowers

Previously, my son always rejected cauliflowers but I managed to "convince & confuse" him with this recipe. Since then, he can easily accept cauliflower in other cooking methods. Sounds like "Crouching tiger, hidden dragon" as described by my foodie friend? In fact, this is the most effective way to coax a child to eat certain vegetables. This recipe is adapted and modified from Special Quick & Delicious Vegetable Cookbook.

Ingredients:
70g chicken thigh/ breast – shredded and marinated with light soya sauce, sugar and cornflour.
170g cauliflower – cut into small pieces and blanched
35g carrot – shredded
½ potato – boiled and diced (optional – This is the leftover from my pumpkin soup)
½ red onion - sliced
2 eggs – mixed with pinch of salt and pepper and beaten lightly

Note: You can subsitute chicken with fresh prawn or 2 tbsp dried shrimp .

Seasonings:
1 tbsp – oyster sauce
1 tsp light soya sauce – 1 tsp
Dash of pepper

Methods:
1) Heat up oil and stir-fry chicken until cooked. Dish up and set aside.
2) Add in onion and sauté until fragrant.
3) Add in carrot and stir-fry. Add in cauliflower, potato, cooked chicken and seasoning, and mix well. If it is too dry, add in 1-2 tbsp water.
4) Add in eggs. Stir fry until the eggs are cooked. Dish up and serve.

This dish paired well with rice and pumpkin soup. My son loved the combination so much that he can gooble up his meals super duper fast on that day. This soup recipe is slightly different from my original pumpkin soup as I used lesser water (enough to cover all the ingredients for simmering) and replaced fresh milk with thickening cream.

Photobucket

For dinner, I made teriyaki chicken skew. Fingers lickin' good!

Photobucket

(Did u notice something is missing from the first bamboo stick? Guess who's the culprit?...........Both my son and I! Shhhhh........ We just couldn't resist the temptation to grab a bite. Hehehe!)

If you are looking for recipes to coax your kid to eat vegetables, I strongly recommend these recipes:
- zucchini cakes
- simplified "kwai fa chee"
- ridge or sweet gourd with prawn omelette
- spaghetti bolognese

19 comments:

Noob Cook said...

what a smart way to coax your child to eat hehe ... and woah your dinner is so sumptuous! :D

Dora said...

I have not tried such a interesting combination of ingredients (eggs + cauliflowers) before! And i like the pumpkin soup and teriyaki chicken skew!

shavedicesundays said...

Like dora, I haven't had cauliflower with eggs before either. My kids love both so this is a great combo.

Food For Tots said...

Hi noobcook,
Tks for your compliments. Another "fridge clearing" exercise only. Hehehe!

Hi dora & shavedicesundays,
Tks for your kind comments. Give it a try!

Nilmandra said...

Your "convince and confuse" and "crouching tiger, hidden dragon" description made me giggle :D From what I've heard and observed from nieces, 'hidding' unfamiliar or disliked food amongst those that they like is a good way to change their minds and tastebuds. I think you're doing very well! And that sounds like a delicious and healthy dish.

Pam said...

My husband doesn't like cauliflower but I might be able to get him to eat this recipe. The chicken and the soup look amazing too!

pixen said...

I must try these recipes for a change ...thanks for sharing.

Btw, I'm tagging you... have fun, ok!

Pearl said...

hi there! oh my gosh - i love this recipe! although i don't have a child, my youngest brother is the pickiest eater in the world. he refuses to eat vegetables and tries to get away with it, if he can (and he's 15!). so i'm definitely going to try this to see if he'll eat more veggies :).

thanks so much for the recipe! i hope we can keep in touch :).

Anonymous said...

I love scrambled eggs with vegetables. We made with gourd last week and it's delicious.

Cauliflowers is something I have never tried before.

Great shot of the soup.

Bits said...

What a "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" dish! Bravo! and full of innovative dinner dishes too... yum yum...

Anonymous said...

Can you share the teriyaki chicken skew? They looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Your pumpkin soup looks delish!! I love soup.. never made this before.. another 'to-do'.
Btw, I love the background color of the scramble eggs & cauliflower pic!!

Food For Tots said...

Hi nilmandra,
Tks for dropping by and ur kind comments. After becoming a mom, I learnt to be smarter so that I will not be easily "confused & convinced" (manipulated) by my son. Hehehe! Sometimes, he is very good at playing physicological games with us!

Hi pam,
Hope my "convince & confuse" technique works on adult too! Hahaha!

Hi pixen,
It is my pleasure. Tks for tagging me. Hmmmm....what should i write?

Hi pearl,
Tks for dropping by. Wow! Your bro is already 15 years old! Not sure whether it will work on him but no harm trying!

Hi jun,
We also luv scrambled egg with sweet gourd. Tks for your comment.

Hi bits of life 'n" life,
We are "kungfu" mommies now! 时事造英雄嘛!

Hi anonymous,
No prob! Next time I will make more for u. Hehehe!

Hi mycookinghut,
Give it a try! It paired well with garlic bread too. Tks for your kind comment.

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! Children can be so picky when it comes to food. Eggs are also a good choice because they're so nutritious. They benefit your heart, your brain, and your eyes. In addition, they help with weight loss and encourage sleep. To learn more read http://www.newrinkles.com/index.php/archive/are-eggs-healthy/

Food For Tots said...

Hi geri,
Tks for dropping by and your sharing. ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for all these wonderful recipes... I tried cooking the scrambled eggs with cauliflowers but have made a big mess out of it ... *sigh*
U shd have a laugh over this post...
http://happyxokoto.blogspot.com/2008/11/lousy-cook.html

Anyway, was wondering if u can include a search box in your blog so that we can search for some of the wonderful recipes directly?
Thank you so much!

Food For Tots said...

Hi Tin,
Guess I had "convinced and confused" u instead of your kids. Hehehe! Practice makes perfect. I strongly believe you can better the 2nd time.

Tks a lot for your suggestion. I will look into it. ;)

chow and chatter said...

love the name of your blog

Food For Tots said...

Dietitian for Hire: Tks and welcome to my humble kitchen. ;)