2008/09/19

Special egg rolls with rice, salmon and spinach

Photobucket

This egg roll is not a pre-planned dish. The idea came to me when I was cooking lunch for both my son and myself on one Saturday afternoon when my hubby was away for his overseas trip. Basically, I just combined some ingredient from my cooked dishes and followed the method in this recipe. (If you can read chinese, refer to this site). Thus, I didn’t have the exact measurement. You may need to use your own discretion to experiment it.

Ingredients:
Salmon (marinated with salt, then steamed with mirin, soya sauce and sugar)
Chinese spinach (blanched, chopped and tossed with fried shallot oil and oyster sauce)
Cooked rice
Black and white sesame seeds
1 egg (lightly beaten and season with salt and pepper)

Methods:
1) Cook rice as usual.
2) Flake steamed salmon with a fork
3) Squeeze out excess water from the blanched Chinese spinach.
4) Roast both sesame seeds over medium low fire until fragrant
5) Heat up oil on a non-stick pan. Use a kitchen paper to wipe the pan so that it is well-coated with oil. Reduce heat to small. Pour egg mixture over the pan and swirl to form a thin layer of omelette. Cook for 1 min and flip over the other side to continue cooking. Remove from pan and set aside.
6) Put rice, sesame seeds and Chinese spinach in a bowl and mix well.
7) Cut out a cling wrap and lay on the chopping board. Put ingredients in item (6) and roll it tightly until it became the shape of a sausage (as per picture).

Photobucket
Close and twist both ends
Photobucket

8) Put item (7) and salmon flakes on the omelette. Roll it up and cut into small rolls (about 2cm height).
9) Serve with wasabi or tomato sauce.

Photobucket

Note: You can add salmon flakes to the rice mixture and roll with the cling wrap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow it looks really nice ... I want *impressed*

ICook4Fun said...

What a great idea. This dish looks so colorful and yummy!! I am bookmarking this to try it out some day. Thanks for sharing.

Food For Tots said...

Hi noobcook,

Tks for your compliment. This colourful combination was used to attract my son's attention. He eats with "his eyes". ;-)

Hi icook4fun,

Tks for dropping by. I luv your strawberry daifuku too!