2008/09/16

Claypot chicken rice

Photobucket

My weekends are always tied up with the routine “once-a-week” groceries shopping. Last Sunday was even busier. After all the housework and cooking, we have to rush for an appointment. Due to time constraints, I just snapped some quick shots of my chicken rice directly from the claypot. Later on, I only realized that my cooked rice had been fully covered by the ingredients. As we had started eating, I had no choice but to take another shot solely focused on the rice. How silly I am!

Photobucket
By following the measurement from the original recipe, my rice turned out to be slightly hard (as you can see from the photo) because mine is basmathi rice and required more water during cooking.

This recipe is adapted and modified from here.

Servings: 2-3

Ingredients:
130g fragrant rice
170g water (Different type required different amount. Eg more water is required for long grain rice)
250g chicken thigh (removed skins, chopped into 5 – 6 pcs)
4-5 pcs shitake mushrooms (fresh or dried) – discarded stem and cut into halves
For fresh ones, blanch over boiling water
For dried ones, soaked to soften
1 Chinese sausage (soaked over hot water for 2-3 mins, removed the outer layer and sliced thinly)
Spring onions (for garnishing)

Seasonings for rice:
1 tsp garlic (chopped)
1 tbsp dark soya sauce
Dash of salt and pepper
1½ tbsp cooking oil

Seasonings for marinating chicken:
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tsp sugar
½ tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp cornstarch
Dash of salt and pepper
1 tsp Chinese cooking rice wine (optional)

Seasonings for stir-frying:
2 pcs sliced ginger
½ tbsp garlic
1½ tbsp cooking oil

Methods:
1) Heat up wok with oil. Sautee garlic till fragrant. Add in rice and stir fry till rice turns to little stick and heavy. Add dark soya sauce, salt and pepper.
2) Pour into a claypot and add water. With medium high heat, cook the rice with closed lid for about 8-10 mins until the rice is almost cooked and water is almost dried up.
3) Heat up wok with oil. Lightly pan-fry sliced sausages till fragrant. Dish up and set aside.
4) With the remaining oil, stir-fry ginger until fragrant. Add in garlic and sautee garlic until it turns slightly brown.
5) Add in chicken and stir-fry until fragrant and let it simmer while cooking rice.
6) When the rice is cooked, spread chicken, mushrooms and sausages on top of the rice.
7) Close the lid and cook at medium fire for another 5-7 mins. (You are expected to have burnt bits for claypot rice)
8) Turn off the heat, sprinkle some spring onions and serve.

7 comments:

Bentoist said...

The best part about claypot chicken rice for me is to scrap the partially charred rice from the base. The crackle of the crispy rice with all that chicken and smokey flavors is simply irresistible. Now you have me craving some.

Food For Tots said...

Hi Bentoist,

What a co-incidence! My hubby and you are sharing the same view. He will make sure that he gets the "best part" whenever I cooked the claypot chicken rice.

Tks for dropping by at my blog.

Gattina Cheung said...

hey I love that pile-up toppings! Great shot!

Food For Tots said...

Hi Gattina,

Tks for dropping by and also your kind comments. Still need to learn more from you.

celine said...

I made this for dinner tonight. Even thought I used the rice cooker instead of claypot (cos I don't have one), it tasted super yummy delicious!!!

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Food For Tots said...

Celine (Skinnymum): Bravo!! Another success story in your life! I am really proud of your achievement!! 加油!!

Sue Me said...

Hello there,

I love Claypot Chicken Rice. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)