According to Wikipedia, masala chai is a beverage from the Indian subcontinent made by brewing tea with a mixture of aromatic Indian spices and herbs. There is no universal recipe or method used for preparing masala chai. It varies among each household based on their taste and preferences.
a) Cardamom helps to relieve indigestion problems.
b) Clove helps to invigorate the body and is great at relieving flus and colds.
c) Cinnamon helps to lower blood pressure, reduce pains and fevers, relieve symptoms of indigestions, nausea, gas and heartburn. It can also help with menstrual cramps.
I had my first cup of chai latte at an English coffee house many years ago. It was like “love at first sight”. The strong and intense flavour of the mixed spices had produced a warm and soothing effect to my body, making me difficult to resist a second cup. Although I didn’t have this kind of indulgence for quite some time, it has stirred up my interest when I chanced upon a masala chai recipe. When I mentioned this matter to my close friend Mrs R over a casual conversation the next day, she had immediately invited me to her house for a cup of chai! Without a second thought, I happily accepted her kind offer. On that day, she even demonstrated her own method of making chai. Here, I share with you a simple and easy recipe for making masala chai with the courtesy of Mrs R:
½ cup water
½ cup fresh/ UHT milk
1 piece of fresh ginger
2 tsp Indian tea leaves
Sugar (to taste)
Note: My preferred variation: add 1 cinnamon stick (break into pieces) and use a larger piece of fresh ginger.
1) Use a rolling pin, pound the ginger and crush the cardamoms.
2) Add water into a small pot/ saucepan and bring it to a boil.
3) Add ingredients in step(1) into the boiling water.
4) After 5 seconds, add in tea leaves.
5) Let it simmer for 1 minute. Then add in milk.
6) Before the milk starts to boil, turn off the heat.
7) Strain the tea and spice residues into a teacup and serve.
Other reading references:
- Chai! Spiced milk tea
- Culinary Teas - Masala chai
- Drink your health with chai tea