2008/12/21

Grandma's pancakes (aka mommy's pancakes)

grandma's pancake, pancake

During our childhood days, this pancake was made from the leftover batter used for french toast or pan-fried nian gao (Chinese New Year glutinous rice cake). It was always a hit in the family. Due to the limited supply, we always walloped the pancake first even though it was still hot from the pan.

Nowadays, it has become a hit to all my nieces and nephews too. For those who are staying overseas, my mother will definitely prepare a batch of pancakes specially for them upon their arrival or departure.


This recipe requires only a few simple ingredients that every household would have in their kitchen. The measurements are just an estimation given by my mother. You are welcome to modify it according to your personal preference.

Photobucket

Ingredients:
10-12 tbsp plain flour
5-6 tbsp sugar
5 eggs (medium)
Water/ milk (if necessary)
Butter (add on pancake)

Methods:

1. Add sugar to the flour and mix well.

2. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixure and add in 3 eggs.
3. Beat eggs slowly to combine well with flour and sugar. The batter should be smooth and creamy.
4. Make sure there are no lumps in the batter. If you do get lumps, press it through a sieve using the back of a spoon.

5. When the ingredients are well mixed, add in the remaining 2 eggs.
6. Mix well and ensure the batter is at the right consistency (not too liquid or too thick).
7. Add water or milk if necessary.

8. Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
9. Scoop the batter onto the pan and spread evenly.
10. Cook for 2 mins and add a small knob of butter on top.

11. Flip over the pancake and cook for another 2 mins.

12. Fold the pancake lengthwise and cut it into halve.

Other pancakes that you maybe interested in:
a) Banana pancake (1)
b) Banana pancake (2)

Wishing you a MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR! Enjoy all the lovely food!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

wah this pan cake... surely delicious wan...although i never tasted it before, nor personally cooked it before.

u know why?

simply because the cookbook is so detailed that nothing could go wrong...

keep up the great work!

Pearl said...

WOW! that is SO cool - we've always had nian gao but never thought of it as a thin pancake! nian gao is so thick :)

Anonymous said...

These look perfect. I'd like them with some condensed milk!

Selba said...

Oh my... believe it or not... your mom's pancakes is the same as my mom and yes, she also uses estimation measurements, hahaha.

All this time, I've been eating the same homecooked pancakes like yours :D

Anonymous said...

This one looks great for a lousy cook like me :)

Thanks! Will try this for my son!
I think first of all, I must sack off the lousy wok (heee... trying to blame the wok for my lousy cooking)

Noob Cook said...

woah is this nian gao made from scratch? It looks fantastic and the step by step pics are great. Happy Holidays! ^o^

Bits said...

This is sweet... awesome and I nearly missed it before I went off my office today! Nice shots and Merry christmas to u too....

Food For Tots said...

Hi Desmond,
Tks for your compliments. The key for a "perfect" pancake is to get the right consistency. So practice makes perfect. Hehehe!

Hi Pearl,
For a pan-fried nian gao (NG), my mom will slice the NG thinly and coat it with the batter. Then pan-fry it.

Hi Syrie,
Oh, what a good idea! I will try it next time.

Hi Selba,
Yakah? What a co-incidence! Maybe u can post her pancakes to share with us later.

Hi Tin,
It is quite true that sometimes the kitchen equipment we use can affect our "performance" especially for novice like me. Hehehe!

Hi Noobcook,
This recipe is to make the batter which will be used as a coating on nian gao for pan-frying. Sorry for the confusion. ;)

Hi Alice,
Tks!! Home sweet home. So everything is sweet to me now. Hehehe! Wishing you & ur family a great Christmas! Have a nice holiday!

Pam said...

They look simple and delicious - my kind of breakfast. Happy holidays!

CY said...

Wow, the pancakes look so yum! A Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!

Cheers
CY

Dora said...

Ur pancake looks so yummy. Should goes very well with curry. :)

Olga said...

These look very similar to the Russian blinchiki. My mom makes them for breakfast and we fill them with jam and sour cream or if you lower the sugar, you can add chili inside for a savory version.

Katie said...

I adore pancakes...this recipe is on my to-make list for sure! Happy Holidays :)

ICook4Fun said...

Wishing you and your family Happy Holidays and A wonderful New Year!

Little Inbox said...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you & your family!

Beachlover said...

wowo!1 your pancake look so good!now you make me wanna to cook some pancake tomorrow! I usuaklyy add some santan into ! Merry Christmas to you too! btw,I link your blog,hope you don't mind,if not I forget to visit you:)

M.H. said...

looks very tempting. reminds me of this tuna pancake i used to buy when i worked in my old office. the bakery made it like rolls... with tuna stuffings and it was delicious!
merry christmas!

Christine Ho said...

Wow, these pancakes look delicious!
Wishing you and your family a Happy Holiday Season!

shavedicesundays said...

Happy New year and hope you had a nice Christmas. This is a unique pancake that I've got to try some day.

Food For Tots said...

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for dropping by and your warm wishes.

Hi Beachlover,
Thanks for the link. I had added yours too! ;)

Anonymous said...

First, happy new year!!
I miss the pan cake so much, my mum always made this for us, a "nian gao" too. So, I'm waiting CNY and want to eat this again!

tigerfish said...

Happy New Year!
Grandma and mommy always make great comforting food, don't they? :P

Food For Tots said...

Malaysia Food Blog: Happy New Year to u and tks for dropping by!

Tigerfish: Yes, totally agreed. Unfortunately I have never tasted my grandma's cooking before.