2008/09/26

Fancy sandwiches with sardine fillings

Fancy sandwiches, Food For Tots

Cookie cutter is my “effective tool" to encourage my son to eat more breads (especially wholemeal) during breakfast time.

Among all the shapes, “gingerbread man” is his top pick because he loves the story of “Gingerbread Man”.

Photobucket

This recipe is adapted and modified from Novum’s Kitchen Cooking for Kids cookbook. The sardine filling is both my hubby and son’s favourite. Usually I will cook it for our dinner and save some to make sandwiches for breakfast.

Ingredients:
100g canned sardines with tomato sauce (I used Ayam brand)
½ onion (chopped finely)
8 slices bread (white/ wholemeal) – I used multigrain wholemeal bread

Seasonings:
3 tbsp tomato sauce (mix with 1 tbsp water)
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp lime juice (1-2 small limes)
1 tsp finely chopped wild ginger flower (optional)
3 tbsp butter (for spreading on bread)

Methods:
1) Use fork to mince the sardines into flakes. Set aside.
2) Heat up wok with 1 tbsp oil.
3) Sautee onion until translucent and fragrant.
4) Add in tomato sauce, sugar and water. Stir well.
5) Add in sardines and wild ginger flower.
6) Turn off the heat and add lime juice.
7) Spread butter on bread. Spread the mixture on 1 slice of the bread.
8) Cover up and use cutter to cut out several shapes.

Note: Wild ginger flower (姜花末) is used to remove the fishy stench of the sardines.

Photobucket Photobucket

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow they are gorgeous. Your photography and presentation rocks :D

Food For Tots said...

Hi noobcook,

Wow! I am "rocked" by your comments. Almost fainted! Hahaha...! Tks a lot.

LindaLow said...

I hop over from bits of taste blog and found your sardine sandwich looks good..Will surely give it a try. Me too started learning how to cook when i relocate to singapore Oct last year:)

Food For Tots said...

Hi Linda,

Tks for dropping by. She is my chief adviser in cooking and photography.

Looks like we share quite a lot of similarities. Besides our cooking journey, we (including my hubby) are sharing a same surname too. Hahaha...! What a coincidence, huh?

Rin Valtay said...

Like noobcook, I think yr photography and food styling is great. SLR on a stand, and lighting? I'm in awe. It is of professional standard. A superb job.

Anonymous said...

I love your mini cookie cutters! I need to go find some for myself. It sounds trite to repeat what's already been said, but WOW on photography!!!

Food For Tots said...

Hi Valtay,

Tks for your kind comments. DSLR camera is still in my wish list. I am using Sony Cybershot T7. Both my hands are my "tripod" and I rely solely on the SUN who always plays hide and seek with me. Just some touching up with Adobe Photoshop to give me "The Perfect" results I need.

Hi super healthy kids,
Nice to see u here. Tks for your compliments. I am so flatterred! ;)

PG CakeCraft said...

hi, just visited ur wonderful site.
what an ingenuous way to get children to eat healthy fd! & ur pics r simply superb.

Food For Tots said...

Hi Sweetbites,

Demanding child leads to "creative" mom. Hahaha! Tks for your sweet sweet comments.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Thanks for creating this blog, and sharing such wonderful receipes... my kids are such fussy eaters, you recipes certainly help me with more food ideas!

BTW, is the sardine spicy? my kids can't take spicy stuff :(

Food For Tots said...

Hi Tin,
Tks for dropping by and your kind words. Try to look for the normal canned sardine with tomato sauce. I am using ayam brand canned sardine. All the recipes in this blog are not spicy as my 3.5 yrs old son also can't take spicy stuff. If u have any queries, u can drop me a line at foodfortots@yahoo.com.