2008/07/01

Ridge/ sweet gourd (丝瓜)with prawn omelette

Photobucket

I always try to introduce as many variety of vegetables as possible in my son's diet so that he has a more balanced diet but it is not an easy job. For instance, cooking ridge/ sweet gourd is a BIG challenge to me because it is not my son's favourite. My past attempt (eg, braised sweet gourd with bean curb) was not well-accepted at all until I had tried out this cooking method based on my MIL's verbal description. To my surprise, it turned out to be a great hit! This omelette is indeed sweet, fluffy and juicy.

Ingredients:
3 eggs
50g prawn
40g vegetarian cha xiu (叉烧)(shredded)
1 ridge/ sweet gourd (shredded)
1 red onion (shredded)

Seasonings:
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp light soya sauce
Dash of pepper and chicken stock granules
1½ tsp cornflour (mixed with 1 tbsp water)

Methods:
1. Wash and devein prawn. Pat dry, chop coarsely and marinate with pinch of salt, sugar and cornflour. Refrigrate for at least half an hour.
2. Heat 1½ tbsp oil in a frying pan and stir fry onion until translucent. Add in ridge/ sweet gourd and stir fry until it turns soft. Then add in prawn and cha xiu, stir well and quickly turn off fire.
3. Beat eggs lightly. Add in seasonings and ingredients into the eggs and stir well.
4. Heat up wok again with the remaining oil. Pour in mixture and pan-fry at low heat until set. Cut it into 8 pieces, flip over and fry until golden brown. (When the gourd is cooked soft enough, it will produce some water and make the omelette juicy.)
5. Dish up and serve.

Ridge gourd, Food For Tots

No comments: