2008/07/04

Cream of pumpkin soup

Photobucket

I still remember the first time I made this soup. It was a total FAILURE! I felt so discouraged because nobody liked it including myself. But I couldn't figure out what went wrong because I had followed exactly the recipe from the newspaper cut-out. Then after searching for sometimes, I managed to find another simple recipe from Kuali Online. It turned out to be my son's favourite now (partly because pumpkin is his favourite). With some modifications, I had derived at my own version as follows:

Ingredients:
400g pumpkin (chopped)
1 medium sized potato (chopped)
1 large white onion (chopped)
250 ml fresh milk
750 ml water - It depends on personal preference. If you prefer a thicker soup, then you can reduce the water.
2 slices ginger
1 tbsp butter (for frying)

Seasonings:
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of nutmeg powder (optional) - it enhances the flavour of the soup

Methods:
1. Melt the butter in a cooking pot.
2. Fry/ bake the onion until translucent.
3. Add in pumpkin, potato, onion and ginger slices and stir well.
4. Pour in water and bring it to a boiling point. Then simmer for about 15 mins or until all the ingredients are softed and mushy.
5. Remove the ginger slices, pour the mixture into a blender and blend until it becomes smooth.
6. Pour back to the pot. Add in milk and seasonings and bring it to a boiling point.
7. Off the heat and serve with toasted bread/ rice. (I used toasted raisin sticks).

Variation:
You can add in cooked fish or prawn in the soup.

4 comments:

Jess said...

i've tried making this soup last weekend and it was a total failure. my first time. I notice that u don't put flour, any reason? i put flour and the soup taste more flour than pumpkin

Food For Tots said...

Hi Jess,
Tks for dropping by. When pumpkin & potato are cooked thoroughly, they will become mushy and it will thicken the soup eventually. If you want a creamier soup, u can subsitute fresh milk with fresh cream. Alternatively, use less water. Flour is used in cream of mushroom and chicken soup bcos these ingredients can't thicken the soup like pumpkin & potato. Practice makes perfect. Try again. Hope to hear good news from u. ;)

Jess said...

Do the shop sell fresh cream? can i get it from the supermarket?

Food For Tots said...

What type of shop do u mean? I bought mine from NTUC supermarket. U can find it at the dairy product section (ie butter, cheese etc). Read the label carefully. I used fresh thickening cream (Bulla). ;)