2008/05/28

Chicken and potato stew

Photobucket

My mum taught me how to cook this one-dish meal.

Ingredients:
1 red onion
2 chicken thighs (with or without bone) - marinate with light soya sauce, sugar and cornflour
2 potatoes
1 large carrot

Seasonings:
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp light soya sauce
Dash of dark soya sauce
1 tsp concentrated chicken stock (optional) - mixed with 150 ml water
Dash of sugar and pepper
1 bay leaf (my personal add-on)
Corn flour (for thickening)

Method:
1. Heat the oil and sautee the onion until fragrant.
2. Add in all the ingredients and seasonings and stir well.
3. Simmer with medium heat until all are cooked.
4. Thicken with cornflour.

Below is another variation I cooked for my son. I used chicken breast, baby sweetcorn and add-on japanese edamane (salted soya bean). No dark soya sauce. Sometimes I will add some fresh mushrooms too.

Photobucket

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi can i change the chicken to pork instead? my boy dun eat chicken.

Food For Tots said...

Phay: Although I have not tried pork before, it sounds fine to me. Instead of sliced pork, u can also try minced pork. In this case, u may need to dice the potatoes and carrot into smaller cubes to reduce the cooking time. Hope your son will love it.

homeladychef said...

To me, this is really a one dish meal, I can just eat it like that! And it's so nutrious, I am going to have it for this week. ;)

Food For Tots said...

Homeladychef: Sometimes, I will add fresh shitake mushrooms and cook extra amount enough for both lunch and dinner. Hehehe!

Anonymous said...

i made this for my girls' lunch bento box for school. they loveeeee it ALOT!

my younger girl had one complain, though - "mummy you gave me too little of the potato. i was still hungry!"

i was stunned cos she (my younger girl) rejects all potato dish, except mashed potatoes.

thanks so much for sharing.

Food For Tots said...

skinnymum: although my birthday is just over, this comment is definitely the best gift for me. Hehehe! If I am not mistaken, your dd prefers those soft-type potatoes with gravy such as russet potatoes. Buy more of these to cook for her. ;)